Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Treehouse of Horror XXVII Reviewed! *Spoilers*

Posted in Off Topic
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Ayy...lmao. So tonight, October 16, 2016, the 600th episode of the Simpsons, Treehouse of Horror 27 aired and I'm here to review this year's tri-segmented episode like I did last year. TL:DR? It's pretty good. I'm gonna try not to spoil much, which shouldn't be a problem cause I didn't pay attention to every nook and cranny of the segments. Anyways, let's discuss.

Opening Segment
The opening portion of the episode is pretty cool. It was nice to see some old characters make a return, including (this is where the spoilers come in) a returning friend, good ol' Frank "Grimey" Grimes. There really isn't much to say about this part other than it was a neat intro to the episode. So yeah, there's that.

Dry Hard
We start of this year's Halloween special with an okay(?) parody of Hunger Games with a little bit of Mad Max: Fury Road in there. This episode pretty much shows Springfield (I think) after a massive drought as a result of Burns being elected every year, and the town's children must fight to the death to win a ticket to paradise for their family... I think. I really didn't pay attention too much. There are a couple really good jokes here and there with Ralph being the dunce he always is, Lisa losing a chance at love, and Homer being a drunk. Actually that's not much of a joke at this point, it's mostly just a staple, cause f*** it, TV dads gotta be drunk am I right? This segment is definitely the weakest of the 3 because there's not much that fits with it being a Halloween special. This could've actually fit more as a non-canon regular episode and could've actually been good. But really nothing much happens in the 6 minutes of this segment.

BFF (R.I.P.)
This one honestly has to be my favorite (which could get me sent to counseling probably). In this segment Lisa has many friends of her's die right in front of her, in admittedly gruesome ways. The best part of this is that there's no wasted 3 minutes of filler. The segment starts off immediately when Lisa's friend... I suck at remembering names, is murdered when Homer's lawnmower (or Flander's cause silly joke) is turned on and runs her over during a game of Hide and Seek. Sherri and Terri are then killed at What'sHerFace's funeral when a gravestone breaks in half and crushes the two. Ending spoilers here, the episode feels like home for once. As in it feels like it belongs in a TOH. It's not some silly parody just to fill up the tri-segment special, it actually is a creepy and interesting segment. And it actually has some really funny jokes that made me giggle a little. It almost feels like a toned down Nightmare Cafeteria in that it's creepy with some subtle jokes added in. In my opinion this is the strongest of the 3.

Moefinger
This one was kinda meh if I had to be honest. This segment I think parodies James Bond, of course after doing some research. For whatever reason I thought it was Cabin in the Woods, I'd like to explain why, but it would spoil one hell of a movie if you haven't seen it. In this segment Moe captures Bart and hires him as one of his agents for his umm... secret agency. Yeah I really should pay attention. Anyways the segment had a couple good jokes here and there and a cool action scene at the end where pretty much everybody dies. Not much to say about this one. It just sort of exists.

Verdict:
This episode was definitely an improvement from last year's. Y'know why? Cause it actually felt like a Halloween special for once. Not a perfect way to celebrate the 600th episode of this damn near 30 year old show, but not a bad way either. I really do feel like this was a good ToH and had some good moments. Obviously it's not V level of amazing (I still consider that the best ToH to this day heck off), but it definitely feels close to home. BFF (R.I.P.) is definitely the best out of the three in my opinion, with Dry Hard being the worst.

Let me know what you guys thought of this year's special if you watched it. And if you didn't watch it, then what're you doin' here? If neither, then you are a non-existent specimen that is just a particle of imagination and has no ability to feel whatsoever.

- Thunder