Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Donut Team: July 2017 Status Update

Posted in Announcements
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
COMMUNITY,

We have a new status update ready for you.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Jake Andreøli

July 2017 Status Update - Transcript

Lucas' Skit
Lucas: HEY WHAT UP BROS, WELCOME TO THE DONUT TEAM STATUS UPDATE!
Loren: WHAT THE F***?! WHO LET YOU OUT?!

Intro
Loren: Ahem, sorry about that. Hi everyone, this is Loren from Donut Team and welcome to the July 2017 Status Update. Today I want to you about Donut Mod. More specifically why it's taking so long.

Donut Mod
Loren: First, I want to talk about the map I’ve been working very hard on. This is the most significant portion of work for this update, which on its own has gone through multiple major revisions, even more so if you include the original scrapped concept for it that I've discussed in the past, Springfield Heights. Each revision of the map so far (excluding the move from Springfield Heights to the Industrial Zone) has carried over most of the notable structures (such as the various factories I've shown in the past) but the layout usually changes significantly from version to version. I would say the map is now on it’s 4th major revision, though I sort of stopped keeping track after merging the dedicated testing mod for the map into the main Donut Mod project. Each revision gives me a chance to look back at some of the mistakes I’ve made designing the level and time to think about how to correct them going forward which leads to me ultimately building a better level. I will end this portion of the video with a more up to date image of a structure I've shown a few times before, the Box Factory. This is still a work in progress though a number of changes were made to make it more accurate to the show. This includes new texture work as well as adjusting some parts of the building such as the sign or adding new parts like the loading dock on the right side. The scale of the building is notably larger than the show's representation, this choice was made for various gameplay reasons. Next, I want to talk about mission design. We are also working to revamp or even fully replace some of the existing missions. You may remember that we had previously mentioned a hack that will add entirely new objective types. While this hack is still experimental, we are aiming to have this hack release before or alongside Donut Mod 4 so we can make extensive use of it and so can other mod creators. Next, I want to talk a little bit about the outfits for the characters. As you know, every playable character is getting several new outfits. Today I would like to officially confirm another one. This new outfit is Springshield Homer from the episode Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge. I hope you like it. Lastly, I also have a new vehicle to confirm. You may have noticed this in the background of some of the screenshots featured in our last update thread. This is Bart’s new default vehicle, the Li’l Lightnin. The Honor Roller is not gone, however, you will still obtain it through a new method.

Website
Loren: So you may be wondering why the website is also taking a long time to come out? Well, here’s Jake to explain why.
Jake: Because f*** you Loren, that’s why! But for serious, it takes an extremely long time to redo an entire website by yourself. We’re trying to make sure it’s as functional, as beautiful and as secure as it can possibly be. So while we’re working hard on the brand new website, you can look forward to quality of life updates to the current one. Over the past few months, we’ve refactored the forum and added a brand new homepage to replace the weird one.
Loren: So when will I be able to upload my mods to the Donut Team site?
Jake: Great question random user! We currently do not have any estimated time for the new website’s release. However, we’ve been stress testing our new server provider by using the very intensive, very lively Simpsons: Hit & Run Multiplayer. We’re currently still in the early stages of the new site, mainly because we restarted from scratch earlier this year in a completely different programming language. While we have reasons for doing this, it’s somewhat complicated to explain. Though, we believe we’ll be able to develop the new site faster in this language. We can’t wait to unveil it to you.

Logo
Loren: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE LOGO!?!?!?
Jake: As we grow as human beings, we decided our logo needed to as well. The new logo reinvents what we believe Donut Team is. The new rounded corners show that we as a team can come together in any circumstance and
Loren: Find a new font
Jake: Overcoming the obstacles and showing that as a team we are capable of
Loren: Downloading a font
Jake: The new colour shows we’re
Loren: Capable of setting it to BLUE!
Jake: And that we’re not afraid to
Loren: TYPE OUR NAME INTO A TEXT BOX! OH MY GOD WHAT THE F----

Closing thoughts
Loren: We hope you understand why Donut Mod 4 and the new website are taking so long to build. We will continue to work to make sure we bring you the best we possibly can and also keep you more up to date bringing you status updates more frequently than we have been for the past few months.
Good this is still alive. But worry not guys, you still have a long way to go until you can be compared to the Black Mesa devs based on how long their mod took. (still love ya though xd)
will you make the new map decompileable?
There are no plans for that.