Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Level 1 Movie - Beta vs. Final Comparison

Posted in Off Topic
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
A side by side comparison of the Level 1 Movie made for the WIP version of the game compared to the final. If you want me to list general differences between the two, here they are:
- The beta version has more smoothly animated characters, whereas the final version seems more stiff in comparison.
- The beta is a lot a longer than the final, with various clips cut out most likely due to the fact that they dragged the clip out for too long or were just filler.
- There seems to be more sound effects playing in the beta, however in the final more detail in sound design is added e.g. the 'equalizer' effect coming from the sound of the TV.

If there's any more differences you can spot in this, feel free to point it out.
I kinda like the beta more
yeah, the problem with the beta though is the OH GOD I'M GONNA HAVE NIGHTMARES TONIGHT models. at least in the final homer and marge look more faithful to the cartoon.
I get the feeling these cutscenes were re-done near the end of development cycle, which might explain why they didn't have enough time to re-animate the scenes that got cut from here.

While I'm glad they cut out the odd saxophone where Marge is...excited...by Homer's paranoia, it bugs me that they left the scene out where Kent cuts to the footage they got of the Black Van. The cutscene we ended up getting makes it look as if Homer instantly got up out of paranoia and saw the van, where that wasn't the case. It's actually a bit more eerie that he witnesses his house being stalked.

The Alligator eating Robot scene was also pretty funny, though I'm wondering how out of place that would've felt in the final game.

I wonder if Joe could shed any light on why the cutscenes were re-animated and how close to the end of the development cycle? Maybe he remembers a bit more of footage then what we have of Level 1.

I also noticed they kept Homer's "gulp" sound when he eats the donut even though he's just sipping a can of Duff in the final version of the cinematic. Kind of odd since it sounds more like he's eating something than drinking, and I'm fairly certain they recycled that sound from the "Homer eats cheese" gag.

Also, a really nice comparison between the two I should say. Synced up really well.
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
interesting, this shows why having involvement from the source material creators really helps.
@Cornholio309 Thanks for the feedback as always! These two videos also weren't the easiest to sync together btw, since one is obviously longer than the other one and some dialogue triggers faster than others do. In the end i had to mute one of the video clips, to which I went with the final since the beta obviously has a lot more going on in it.
Nice, I've always wondered where Kyle's avatar came from.