Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Level 7 Unused Rich Side Loading

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
A guy on Youtube claimed in the comments section of a video for the one of the unused out-of-bounds music tracks that he once went to the power plant and that when he did, the usually locked door was open. He then said that the entire power plant+rich side loaded, but without collision. If you want to read the comment, it can be seen on Youtube. The video is titled: The Simpsons: Hit and Run BETA Music (I can't hyperlink it, the video is done by a Youtube member called Fry). My question is: Is this actually possible?

Also, even if it isn't, I once (on the Xbox version) got out of bounds by the school and drove past the rich side remains, and began driving around aimlessly. After a while, I came across on of those green nuclear waste puddles that you see on the ground in the waste tunnel in the power plant in levels 1 and 4. Although, I don't recall the waste dripping sounds playing. It has not happened since. How did this happen? Is there a way to make it happen?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

EDIT:

Colou: Little T-Pose found the puddle (I forgot what it looks like when I first posted). I think it may be unused all together. I'm still waiting on a couple of answers though. (Look on page 2).
To answer your first question, it's entirely impossible for the rich side to load at all, because there are no files for it. The entire reason for the rich side being dropped was to reduce strain on the artists, so they would have never actually modelled it or put it into the game.

As for your second question, that seems really bizarre. To test, I loaded every single model file in L7 at once (so the main regions, streetrace props, etc) and there was still nothing there. However these are, of course, the PC models. My initial idea was that perhaps, by mistake, the waste puddles were included in one of the Xbox version's files as a leftover from the earlier levels. My guess would perhaps be in a streetrace prop, a region that should be unloaded by this point, or maybe an interior (since interiors are loaded and unloaded depending on which one you entered last)

However, I vaguely remembered hearing that the Xbox version's files were readable for the most part, minus a few errors here and there. So I took all the files and loaded them again at the same time, but to no avail. There were still no waste puddles in the Power Plant. That's not to say the Xbox files could be read perfectly, as here and there I noticed a couple of missing models (although nothing too major) so I suppose it could be possible that the waste models are just unreadable at the moment. However I find this somewhat unlikely. So I'm really not sure what's going on there.
Thanks, Colou! You went to (what seems like to me) a lot of trouble to answer my second question. That waste puddle was weird. I just remember using the horn jump cheat code to get over the barrier to the school, and explored those weird remains of the rich side, then I got bored. So I decides to drive past the cut area and into the distance. After that, i'm not sure where I went. I believe I may have driven in the direction of the power plant and made a couple of random turns here and there, until (since I has the very fast cars cheat on), I sped over something green. I went back, and saw that it was one of those green puddles, although oddly, the leftover dripping sounds were not playing. Unless i'm going to the wrong area, I've never seen this again. Are you sure that there's not some trigger (or "load zone") out of bounds which tries to load the power plant, but only loads that? Or perhaps the game bugged when loading and misspawned the splodge? Just theories.

EDIT: If it was a misspawn, it might not have spawned anywhere near the power plant.
Also, if the rich side can't load, then why can you find that small snippet, as well as several music tracks and sounds?

EDIT:

Colou:

You say "there were still no puddles in the power plant". More related to the misspawn theory, they may not have spawned in where the power plant should be as, like I said, I could have gone anywhere and the dripping sounds were not playing.
[deleted user]
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
Levels are "divided" into separate music regions, so, those music tracks's regions you hear in the "L7 rich side" aren't connected to rich side regions, they're connected to L7_Terra, which is a global file for the whole level
I may be wrong here since the last time I've modded the game was a couple of months ago
Gordon CMB:

Thanks, that solves the "music" question, but there's still much more a few things left unanswered, such as that odd puddle I came across.

NEW QUESTION (If nobody minds): Since this cut area is more interesting to me then alien Buzz Cola, I decided to explore what's left of the rich side map region and do some comparison, as well as list some oddities.

1. It seems to me like the area was being rushed before it was cut. You have a small leftover map section including a programmed jump camera, spawn points, collision, and some destructable trees. Wouldn't it make more sense to program the map textures, then add the jump cam and trees, etc. I'm letting the floating gas signs off here as what's left of them is texture. It does seem as if Radical was adding it all together instead of in different stages. Either they were rushed, or Radical has a bizzare way of creating maps.

2. What's left of the road curves differently then it does in levels 1 and 4 at both turns.

3. At the end of the road, the word "STOP" is written on the road as part of it's texture. This is not there in levels 1 and 4. Was it just a planned difference for the map, or a developer message of some sort.

4. Using the glitch method (or debug cam) to go under the beginning of the road just after the bridge, there are two odd 2D textures. On is a miniature version of the Springfield Prison seen nearby at the school in the background, and the other is some weird thin strip of blue, red and black colours.

Oddly, none of this stuff is ever mentioned in any of the limited info online about this cut area.

Anyone have any theories or can perhaps answer any posed questions?
Wouldn't it make more sense to program the map textures, then add the jump cam and trees, etc.
Well, actually having a jump cam there makes complete sense, because L7 doesn't have its own unique file for jump cams. Both L4 and L7 just borrow the file from L1 instead, because there's no need to have the exact same file multiple times. Just re-use what's already there! The trees can actually be seen ingame normally so they were probably put there to make the rich side look more 'complete'

At the end of the road, the word "STOP" is written on the road as part of it's texture. This is not there in levels 1 and 4. Was it just a planned difference for the map, or a developer message of some sort.
The STOP texture itself isn't unique (it's used elsewhere a couple of times) but as to why it's placed there, I don't know. Perhaps it was a mistake on the artists part, not remembering how exactly the road looked in earlier levels, and not really caring because you wouldn't see it anyway. Or maybe it was a developer in-joke, because the player shouldn't be there. Who knows?

there are two odd 2D textures. On is a miniature version of the Springfield Prison seen nearby at the school in the background, and the other is some weird thin strip of blue, red and black colours.
The Springfield Prison is there in L1 and 4 as well. I'm not quite sure what it's for, but it seems to differ from the actually 'used' version. My guess is that it was an early version of the prison model, and instead of deleting it, it just got moved underneath the water (perhaps by mistake) and was just forgotten about. The same thing happens in a couple of places, though I can't remember any examples.
I wanted to have a look for myself, and this is what i found. (not trying advertising my channel)
Colou:

Why would they try and make it look more "complete" if they knew the place was done for? Thanks for sorting out the other issues. I'll go see if I can find that green puddle later, although I doubt I'll get results.

CoughE:

I don't get what you found; as far as I can tell: nothing. And for some reason you've removed the video.

CMB has previously answered as to why the music exists, but what was the second one (stone_cutter_spoof) made for. If I go out of bounds by the rich side, I can easily find it with the grid lines cheat. But what was it's intended purpose. I dis some testing and comparison. It does not play at where Burns' Mansion would be, but near enough. There's another speculation that the music would play outside the Stonecutters' main building (which is outside the tunnel). To test, I got Homer to stand exactly where the music starts, then activated the debug cam and measured the distance between. I did the same thing in level 1 (but this time I stood by the building because it actually exists) and it looks like it may not play there after all. Can somebody test by swapping map data with level 1 and keeping the same music binding, or something similar?
You are correct, my point was that there was absolutely nothing over there.