Forum Mod Bakery Docs

(Not a mod, it's an experiment with the community) Apu's Adventure Mod!!!!!!

Posted in Off Topic
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
The name of the webpage of the links are great
HElp!!!!!! How downlon mod? I do want to play the apu mod and it will be fun and i like it.,

is a joke lol
This is the best mod i've played in my entire life. Keep up the good work Surreal Bot!
[deleted user]
4 yrs ago (Statistics)
Gonna give my two cents on this because it was bumped again.

I understand that the phenomenon of users bumping abandoned threads and asking for download links is annoying. However, having a thread whose sole purpose is to mock and fool these users isn't really any better. The fact that this is on the front page makes the forum seem less welcoming than it should, especially since the ridicule is aimed mostly at who I assume are younger members of the community. It also IS clickbait, and saying its an "experiment" doesn't make it any less annoying. Finally, it's ironic that a post meant to satirize forum clutter has been uselessly bumped so many times this month by people who are in on the joke.

This is just my opinion, and I don't harbor any dislike toward anyone who posted here. I just think it's detrimental to the forum.
Sure it's less welcoming to users who have this habit, but I'd rather have less people who ask about things that were already answered 6 months ago because they avoid reading things than have 10 more people irritating the lot of us by doing just that.

But new users who actually read the post would learn that bumping threads without knowing what was going on in them annoys us. I did try to make it clear enough that it was clickbait by putting this post in the "Off Topic" board, giving it the "Meme" flair, and using a very unprofessional and uninspired name for a mod that you couldn't possibly believe is real especially by someone like me. I even asked one of the staff members before I posted this if it was okay to publish this because I was afraid of how the rest would feel about an intentionally misleading post.

While the intent of this post was far from getting people to joke around like what happened earlier, the responses were... uh... a little amusing to me. I say playing along isn't a problem since it has only been a week since this was made. Not to mention that there was only a 7-day gap of inactivity and that the post was still in the first page in the recent list before trussive's response. If I felt the jokes should be over by now, I would've said so.
my apologies for bumping this, I wanted to take part in the joke, I should know this from years of using other forums lol
[deleted user]
4 yrs ago (Statistics)
I don't think it's just awkward for users with the bumping habit; I feel like a typical new user who joins and sees this post might have a sour taste left in their mouth. Honestly though, that reasoning was probably the weakest in my argument and I can understand it not really being an issue. However, I don't feel like post bumping is enough reasoning to drive users away from the community; people make mistakes and it can take a while for new users to learn the nature of the site. It's frustrating when it happens, but not enough that I want people who do it once to be turned away from here forever.

In terms of the clickbait nature, I appreciate that you gave the post the Meme flair, but you clearly stated in the post body that the point of the post was to see how many people would be fooled by it, so it seems the intent was still trickery. If a Staff Member approved it, I guess the post doesn't violate the forum rules, but I still feel like the intent of the post and what you wrote in the second paragraph of your reply kind of contradict each other.

Again, I'm not trying to be a d******* here. I hope the people who downvoted my first post were not personally offended since this was not my intention. I'm glad this turned into more of a joke thread rather than having serious replies. To trussive: You were not in the wrong for bumping this; the post wasn't very old. I just didn't want to reply to a week old thread pointing out my issues with it so that's why I mentioned the bump.
I wasn't talking about bumping in general. I meant bumping posts with a question that already has an answer like when someone asks "Can you give us the download?" or "When's Level X coming?" without reading the post that already says/implies that it won't happen. Like what happened in my SCM post and a few others. About two people (both are trolls—possibly the same guy—but I didn't know that until much later) asked on that dead thread how to download that mod even though I already wrote on it that I personally removed the download links. Similar things happened to other posts in quick succession.

I didn't deny that it was trickery. I still want to see if people genuinely think that the links are broken. The title, author, and flair make it obvious to long-time members that it's clickbait, but others may not see it that way.

Also, I don't know who the hell downvoted that post. It was a 3:5 ratio.