Forum Mod Bakery Docs

My second rant.

Posted in Off Topic
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Today I feel like wanting to share an issue that...well, not many people have, of course. In fact, it's "my" own problem I'm still having these days. -_-'

Now... I know this might seem to be a weird one, but for some reason, due to my mind and coping imperfections, I find seeing all certain words that are spelt in American style to be very offensive, when reading text. Ones without "u" after the "o" and others with "z" in replacement of "s". Those examples are - "color", realize", "armor", "recognize", "favor" and "apologize". Personally for me, I prefer them to be spelled British style, as "colour", "realise", "armour", "recognise", "favour", "apologise" and many others that I simply can't list here.

And yes of course, lots of games have them spelled in US format mostly than UK ones. Despite my general interest in gaming over the years, this problem of me seeing American words began in like roughly 2016, and can cause me grief, interruption and likely a chance of me giving up on that game, especially if I either wasn't ready for a mispelling to appear on-screen or that I tried to just see them as like normal words but probably didn't get lucky. Ever since I asked my mother around that year, "What do these spellings mean? Any difference in them or something?", and she revealed the truth of answer to my question, "No, they don't have a difference in anything. It was America that went their way in spelling words how they think it should be. We as British people only spell them the original and correct way."

...Perhaps this issue of mine is related to autism? Maybe, maybe not. Still, I really hate seeing any of those particular words being spelt in US style, because of what America themselves (and even other natives who think the same too) think they should be written that way, and how they are pronounced. It (kind of) sucks for me, now that they exist in many games, especially my most-loved ones like Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Pokémon, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Rayman and so on, as it ruins my liking and enjoyment of the games themselves. I even think, "Why? Why does it have to be like this? Why must these US spellings even be related to characters, places and stuff? I just don't get it..."

Worst of all case scenarios... They are also used for my best favourite character Krystal, Star Fox's blue vixen. No offence, but apparently she was voiced by a UK English actress, Estelle Ellis, many years ago as of 2002 for the Star Fox Adventures game on Nintendo GameCube, and because of that, I always feel that Krystal looks, and is, British, like myself. Personally I like her being British, or like how I put it that way for her, because me and her make good friends about it, too. But then again, there's always going to be a troubled moment for this - one mispelling shows up "for her" and I'm immediately shocked, frustrated and ruined about her...as if I got tricked and misunderstood that she's actually an American instead, and therefore I think also, "Come on... Just why not ANY one UK spelling otherwise used for her, even unintendedly or naturally? So unfair." Yes I know she's fictional and whatnot as well, but I don't care. Fantasy characters like her, Yoshi, Tails and other ones are still iconicly awesome and mean so much to me.

So there, that was pretty much all I can explain for this. Also please be careful when writing a reply here, as I can get rather sensitive. It's just my share of problems and feelings, with the "Rant" flair chosen. I even had to write about this rant right now since... I've seen jake on DT put in "apologize" on my old topic months ago. I certainly didn't expect that. It should of really been spelt "apologise" with "s", not "z". But no, that didn't turn out well on my part. -_-
Hihi, before you get into reading, please know that the point of this reply is not in any way to make you feel bad (if it seems like that) but rather help you feel a little better :)
It's nice that you got some time to get to type this and I guess it's pretty understandable that you might feel a little upset on the way some people type online.
I myself am Romanian so I'm not a native English speaker. I was taught to type & write in British style, but here's the twist. Being around on the internet, I've been exposed to both US & UK sites, I was exposed to both types of spelling & I really find none of them that wrong, I even use both of them, it just depends on whatever my mind thinks of at the given moment. Donut Team itself, afaik has been (and still is) hosted for a long while in America, though I think it uses a little bit of Australian spelling, which I think is very close to the British one.

I don't think Jake spelt "apologize/apologise" wrong, because in the American English, that is the correct way. (This means, if you spell anything in British style, that is not wrong either, because it is correct in your language).
English itself now is no longer just one single language, but a family of languages. Which include all three Amerian, British & Australian (and possibly more that I forgot of? I'm not sure).

I can see your point & how this can feel offensive. I being Romanian, I speak Romanian language and there's a form of Romanian that is being spoken in Moldova, but a lot of words & spelling seem wrong to me. They are wrong to me, but not to the speakers in there.
I'm sure nobody is trying to offend you (or anybody else) by spelling it the way they were taught to.

I hope this little paragraph has a nice ending to it, hopefully without offending you. If it does, please let me know so I could try and reword it in a nicer way!
Hihi, before you get into reading, please know that the point of this reply is not in any way to make you feel bad (if it seems like that) but rather help you feel a little better :)
It's nice that you got some time to get to type this and I guess it's pretty understandable that you might feel a little upset on the way some people type online.
I myself am Romanian so I'm not a native English speaker. I was taught to type & write in British style, but here's the twist. Being around on the internet, I've been exposed to both US & UK sites, I was exposed to both types of spelling & I really find none of them that wrong, I even use both of them, it just depends on whatever my mind thinks of at the given moment. Donut Team itself, afaik has been (and still is) hosted for a long while in America, though I think it uses a little bit of Australian spelling, which I think is very close to the British one.

I don't think Jake spelt "apologize/apologise" wrong, because in the American English, that is the correct way. (This means, if you spell anything in British style, that is not wrong either, because it is correct in your language).
English itself now is no longer just one single language, but a family of languages. Which include all three Amerian, British & Australian.

I can see your point & how this can feel offensive. I being Romanian, I speak Romanian language and there's a form of Romanian that is being spoken in Moldova, but a lot of words & spelling seem wrong to me. They are wrong to me, but not to the speakers in there.
I'm sure nobody is trying to offend you (or anybody else) by spelling it the way they were taught to.

I hope this little paragraph has a nice ending to it, hopefully without offending you. If it does, please let me know so I could try and reword it in a nicer way!

Not a bad response there, maz. Thanks. :)
I'm American, so I often use American English when writing responses (especially because my spell checker is configured that way). However, when I was developing the website I used British English as it will be more accurate to the rest of world.
Of course... No one even understands what I'm also trying to mean about misspellings AND Krystal herself linked, however that means it. Like it's just nothing relevant or something. >_< I dunno... Feels too much to explain why this is the case for me. -_-