Forum Mod Bakery Docs

What languages has SHAR been officially localised into?

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
First up, let me tell you about an interesting feature of the PAL PS2 version of the game. You may or may not already know or care about it, but I figured it was worth documenting in some way.

As those of you who are familiar with the PS2 may know, there are PS2 games that will be loaded in the language that the PS2 system is set to, rather than forcing you to choose the language yourself within the game. If the console is set to a language not supported by the game (often Portuguese in my experience), the game will simply default to English.
However...

The PAL PS2 Platinum version of SHAR (or at least, the one I have) includes localisations for English, French, German, and Spanish, depending on which one of them the system is set to, and the language cannot be changed within the game. But if the system language is set to Italian, Dutch, or Portuguese, starting up the game gives you a list to select between the other four languages, instead of simply defaulting to English. I have never seen this happen with any other PS2 game (of course, that doesn't mean that no other PS2 games do this).

But it got me wondering what other localisations for the game might exist. The Mobygames page for SHAR shows cover art for Italian, Brazilian, and Korean releases of the game, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the game itself is actually translated into these languages.
I also remember seeing a scan of the back cover in Japanese, but I never found any footage of a Japanese version of the game. The Simpsons is (or was) fairly popular in Japan, so it's not out of the question that the game was translated into Japanese. But of course, this Japanese translation wouldn't exist on any PAL disc. In fact, the only PS2 game I have that has a Japanese option is Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy.
Furthermore, my copy of Road Rage doesn't have any languages other than English, but I've seen footage of a version that has Spanish text but with the audio left in English. Super weird.
Hit and Run was only dubbed in those 4 languages excluding japanese (which only has the texts translated i think), and Road Rage wasn't even dubbed to other languages, however it has translated text for those 4 ones and italian, only for the pal version. And the audio was left in english.