Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Bart's Halloween Caper

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
It's October 31st in Springfield, and Bart is ready to take the town by storm! Then some bizarre things happen...
Play as Bart and watch the night's events unfold!

Features
  • 7 Story Missions (+ tutorial) to play.
  • 7 Cursed Wrenches and 3 Gags to find.
  • Other small secrets...

Credits
  • maz (Halloween Fully Connected Map, Lua/Cursed Wrench model assist.)
  • idelww (Halloween Fully Connected Map.)
  • Mochapoke (Halloween Fully Connected Map, Yellow Guy model.)
  • TheButterApple (Halloween Fully Connected Map.)
  • Colou (Original Fully Connected Map.)
  • cha0seight (Original Fully Connected Map.)
  • Kenny Giles (Subtitle template, Invisible model.)
  • Mission 1 music is "Mystic Mansion" from Sonic Heroes.
  • Mission 6 voice clips from "Announcer - Game" from The Simpsons Game.

Requires at least version 1.25.1 of the mod launcher. Is decompilable.

If you value your progress, I'd recommend saving before and after Mission 6 - on older versions of the mod (but not the current one, to the best of my knowledge), there were a few ways this Mission could be crashed, and it doesn't help that it uses a few obscure mechanics and tricks.

History

1.0 (30th October 2022)
  • Initial release.

1.1 (10th November 2022)
  • Improved direction in crate collection objective in Mission 2.
  • Adjusted the positioning of Cursed Wrench 7 so that the aura shows better.
  • Disabled the vanilla game quotes on the "Pause > Cursed Wrenches" screen.
  • Text edits including credits and in-launcher info.
  • Added a HUD icon to Mission 7's Sunday Drive.
  • Added another secret vehicle - shh!
  • Fixed Springfield Elementary School interior collision as rectified in the update to the Halloween Fully Connected Map.
  • Music file now globally forced, leading to some small improvements.
  • Muted mission start dialogue.
  • Adjusted the one Gag that was already present and added two more.
  • Added some extra random secrets.
  • Difficulty mode selection now available in launcher Mod Settings window.

2.0 (16th April 2023)
  • General standardisation, optimisation and functional improvement.
  • Text fixes.
  • New Phone Booth/vendor music.
  • Worked around Hit & Runs still technically being possible if an interior is entered and then exited (until the next objective is reached).
  • The Scrapbook now informs the player that it is scarily unchanged.
  • Added support for 3D Phone Booth Previews.
  • Mission 4: Added Homer to the back garden if playing on Nightmare difficulty.
  • Mission 5: Added triggers to prevent the player from being able to leave the starting area and acquire another vehicle.
  • Mission 5: Fixed a crash that would occur if the Mission was played with a costume active.
  • Mission 6: Re-did adjustments when playing on non-Default difficulties.
  • Mission 6: Fixed a rare potential issue where the AI vehicle would get stuck far enough away so that reaching the next playable objective would instantly fail.
  • Mission 6: Added stuff to prevent the player from being able to take an inefficient route.
  • Mission 6: Fixed a crash that would occur if the Mission was at all cancelled in the first objective.
  • Mission 6: Fixed further crashes that would occur if any later objectives were at all cancelled, but only if a costume were active prior to starting the Mission.
  • Mission 6: Hopefully fixed (or at least helped mitigate) another potential crash at the end of the Mission.
  • Mission 6: The final playable objective will now actually fail if payload is dropped.
  • Mission 6: Removed possible delays when failing.
  • Added more secrets.

DOWNLOAD (LMLM, 93 MB)

DOWNLOAD (ZIP, 51 MB)

This i gotta try :D
This is super cool!!!!!
Wow, this Mod sounded very pleasure, and I find it interesting while I play the β€œBart's Halloween Caper”, but awesome job!

Btw, which is the original voice before the Ferrari – Black stops the car on Mission 6?

I'll gotta say, it's the best Halloween Mod ever!
Why I can't enter any vehicles during mission 2 and 4?
It is a very good mod, without a doubt another of the best Halloween mods that exists in DonutTeam! πŸ˜ˆπŸ‘»πŸŽƒ
I really appreciate you didn't make the wrenches too easy to find, I really have to look in every corner of the map. One thing I didn't understand was what am I supposed to "avoid" during the part where Bart had to collect the cola crate? I just kept failing the mission as I walked over to collect it. Other than that, I like how you don't fail the player if their car explodes during a race, and the difficulty seems to be just right. Good work m8.
Thanks, everyone! This is a follow-up post where I'll answer some questions (answers in spoiler blocks, click to open) and provide some more information.

Btw, which is the original voice before the Ferrari – Black stops the car on Mission 6?
ImmortalFlamixGod
Spoiler
Those voices are pre-existing sound clips from The Simpsons Game, just at a higher pitch.

Why I can't enter any vehicles during mission 2 and 4?
AlfredoAndFriends
Spoiler
Those missions (well, all of Mission 4 and part of Mission 2) are designed and intended to be played without driving a vehicle.

One thing I didn't understand was what am I supposed to "avoid" during the part where Bart had to collect the cola crate? I just kept failing the mission as I walked over to collect it.
Sol Scorcher
Spoiler
The idea in that stage is that you avoid getting too close to the Kwik-E-Mart (the fail trigger covers the glassy area and extends to the parking spaces in front of it, and the idea is that you could get caught taking the cola by Apu, since the truck was delivering it there), but on reflection I can see that it would've been better to clarify in the mod somehow what "detection" meant. I'll make sure I do that.

I've become aware of a couple of things I'd like to improve/fix up (for example, the cola crate stage being a bit vague, and card quotes still showing), so soon enough I'll update the mod to improve these things and more. It'll be a soft update, though, so I won't bump the thread.
Hey Addy, dunno if you've encountered this, but every time I start to control the RC car the mod crashes no matter what. I'll update you if I can figure out what's going on.
Hey Addy, dunno if you've encountered this, but every time I start to control the RC car the mod crashes no matter what. I'll update you if I can figure out what's going on.
Sol Scorcher

Uh-oh, that doesn't sound good. I myself haven't encountered it, and I haven't been reported this issue by anyone else. Nonetheless it bears investigating. Something that would help a lot with regards to that is if you could upload and link a crash dump here on the forum. Make sure "Save Crash Dump" is enabled in the launcher's settings and then repeat the steps that lead up to the crash. After it crashes, open "Documents\My Games\Lucas' Simpsons Hit & Run Mod Launcher\Crashes" and find the .DMP file with the most recent timestamp as it's filename. If you could upload that to a file hosting website and then share a link here, I can get the crash dump to Lucas, who can hopefully understand from it roughly what the issue is, and then I can go off of that. Thanks.