Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Stage Messages

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
Hello!

I am MaxPower (Max Power!) and I just started modifying my game files to create an all new level 7, since I think the old one is easy and boring. However, one problem I have run into is that the preset stage messages are not enough for the new objectives I am creating. I would like to know how to create new ones, if it's not too complicated.

If anyone has the time to answer this I will be sincerely grateful!
Welcome to DT and SHAR modding!

First of all, I'd recommend against modifying your own game files unless you're 9005% sure (I calculated it) that they are reinstallable, and even then there's no real point to doing so - it will make sharing the mod (if you ever plan to release it) more difficult.

Anyway, onto making customtext!
1. Make sure you've downloaded Lucas Simpsons Hit and Run Mod Launcher
2. Create your own folder for your mod. Place it in the Mods folder that comes with the Launcher. Then, create a meta.ini (which is linked in the thread below - this is necessary for CustomText). Use this as a template for your base ini - it's the basics of what you would need.

[Miscellaneous]
Title=Level 7 Mod
InternalName=Level7Mod
Version=1.0
Description=The Level 7 Mod makes Level 7 way funkier than it used to be. You should totally play it, d00d!
Category=Total Conversion Mods
Main=1

RequiredHack=CustomFiles
RequiredHack=CustomText
RequiredLauncher=1.12

[Author]
Name=max_power998
Notes=Creator

3. Create a CustomFiles folder. Then, copy anything you plan on editing into this folder. - this is not required for this tutorial specifically, but will make your life 895% easier (and yes, I calculated that too)
4. donutteam.com/forum/topic/94/ - Use this for actually making CustomText.
5. For figuring out what ingame text uses what handle (example: "MISSION_OBJECTIVE_01" is a handle, "RACE SKINNER TO THE SCHOOL" would be an ingame text) you can use the Text Names hack that you can enable when you load up the game using the Mod Launcher.
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
Thank you so much for replying! I actually made a copy of my game directory and am modifying the files from there, as I am having enough trouble creating the new objectives as it is and don't want any extra pressure of dealing with actually making it a mod. I will do this eventually however, and it is very funky so far, so get psyched.

However, my stage message is not showing up! I have the Meta.ini created, and this is what I have in my CustomText.ini:

[Miscellaneous]
Title=English
UseNamesAsText=0

[CustomText]
[CustomTextL7]
[CustomTextL7M1]
MISSION_OBJECTIVE_11=COLLECT THE MEDICATION FOR YOUR ZOMBIE INDUCED ANXIETY.

This is for an objective in Rigor Motors after you collect the chainsaw where you have to go to the KwikEMart and get Aggroleve. What am I missing? You've been so helpful and welcoming so far and I don't want to take up too much of your time but if there's something blatant I'm missing I'd love to know!

Thanks so much!
Does your mission file (m1.mfk or any other file that is redirecting the mfk file to a custom mission file) have "SetStageMessageIndex(#)" or something like that? If so, set the number to 11 since you set the custom message to that value. I was going to assume it was already like that, but I was out of ideas beyond that point.

EDIT: Also, have you reloaded the launcher? The meta.ini doesn't update itself if the launcher hasn't been reloaded, therefore ignoring the new CustomText.ini file and other INI files.
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
I was not aware you had to do this Somebot, thanks for the help! I'll test it out now.
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
Thanks to everyone for all the help. Everything works perfectly now! I appreciate it so much!