Forum Mod Bakery Docs

[Archived] Donut Mod 4: General Information

Posted in Donut Mod
This topic has been locked and can no longer be replied to.
[deleted user]
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
We want to keep the thread unlocked so people can ask questions about the mod. People are free to post what they want on this thread as long as it pertains to Donut Mod and isn't spammy or malicious.

@david44 No, it is not finished. There will undoubtedly be an announcement when it is, so don't worry.
I've been away for a couple of days, but before I left I was able to screenshot the unedited message.
Now I have a couple of things to say about this.

Firstly, there's no way that someone like me could make the kind of content that Donut Mod has. You're comparing one person to a whole team of people, who have access to many more tools, hacks and information. That's the thing, nobody can compete with Donut Team, and it almost feels like it's an intentional move to give Donut Mod the spotlight because it's physically impossible for anybody to compete. I don't say they don't deserve the spotlight, DM4 has had a huge amount of effort put into it, but it isn't a fair comparison when you're comparing inexperienced people who are years behind on unreleased tools and hacks that mean that they can't do anything like this.

Secondly, you're again acting like I'm begging for Donut Mod to be released. Now there are certainly those who are doing that but I personally think that they should definitely take their time and release it when ready. I just don't understand why there's so much mystery and lack of information around the mod. You could use the excuse that they "don't want to spoil the mod" but how is showing little clips of missions going to ruin the 'surprise'? It's one thing to watch a clip, but it's a completely new experience to play for yourself. Other mods too have done this to great success, mod creators like Colou have posted updates on Discord every couple of days, and the result is one of the best mods I've ever played. Things like the storm effect in 'Eye of the Storm' were very clever and unique, and not at all spoiled by the video posted a month beforehand showing a prototype version. You might be worried that people will be 'disappointed' if you share something that doesn't make the final cut, but as long as you explain why you're not going ahead with it, people will understand and it would be a great insight into the making of a mod. It would also help build excitement by showing a brand new feature, rather than just saying that you discovered something and giving absolutely no details. Otherwise you're putting the whole thing down to trust, and with the frequent delays and cancellations I'd imagine people's trust is running pretty dry at this point.

Lastly I'd also like to show support for everyone working on Donut Mod. I really do appreciate all that you do, and I hope that you keep doing great things in the future. I just wish that there was better interaction with the community as a whole, because you always seem very distant when you get asked questions like this, and angry when people get irritated about these vague responses. I hope this doesn't discourage you from doing what you're doing, and I look forward to what lies ahead.
I recently got home from vacation and now I'm dealing with my cat who's in for surgery. So i have not had time to read this thread beyond small snippets. I also hear Lucas' computer hard drive is dying, Loren has been working a lot and Kenny has temporarily distanced himself from the project to focus on school. We have a lot going on personally and we're trying to respond in a timely manner and give you all the information you deserve.

We'll have the status update out in the next couple of days or a week, but no date set in stone.

Overall we know criticism and issues come from a place of wanting us to do better and wanting the best we can do. We encourage conversation, though we do admit we often feel attacked or discouraged when it comes to finishing this project because of how long this has taken. We don't want to make something awesome and have it viewed so negatively because of how long we took. No one likes where we're at and everyone including us want to do better. Building the systems and releasing them is very important to us, but these take time. Sometimes a long time.

Currently we're building out our new website, Donut Mod and a few other projects. They're incredibly important to growth and stability. We'll have more information soon on everything, but as i said it takes time. I'd say were in a transition period where we want to grow and succeed, but in order to do that we all need to step back and look at the larger picture. I think this is why we've been quiet.
I don't mean to be dumb or anything, but if DM4 gets released and is well receIved, I'll probably start listening to the song "Still Alive" from Portal, in my room.

I accept how long it has taken to make the mod and all, but I wanted to point out this idea.
Jake and I spent a few hours on this update video tonight and the video project for it is fairly assembled now and we have most of the raw assets (screenshots, videos and music) together for it.

That said, I just want to be transparent and say this is not likely to come out this month like I previously stated. We could stay up and finish it right now but it's 4AM at the time of writing this and we both have work tomorrow so it would not be ideal. I would also like to re-record my commentary for it when I'm less tired as I don't really like how it came out when I recorded it a few hours ago.

I apologize for the slight delay but the video should be out either tomorrow night (Saturday, September 1st) or the day after (Sunday, September 2nd).
come on are you waiting of donut mod 4 yet :(
David44 mods arent something that one can make in one day, you said the exact same thing to Gordon's waylon story.
I leaked Donut Team's new motto.
Well, I guess the real moral out of all of this is never to completely promise a date about stuff like this.

EDIT: But seriously, do we have to make a fuzz about mods that take this long?
[deleted user]
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
@david44
Let me repeat what did I said month ago:

Developing a mod is not a race, it's more like drawing: If you go slowly and carefully, this is gonna be a masterpiece
Me, Jule 2018
What's gonna be better? Rushed, unpolished and screwed up DM4, or complete mod with bonus missions, cards and extra detail?
You should stay calm and wait until the mod's gonna be released, asking constantly won't make it come out tomorrow