Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Cops: in Springfield (1.1.1)

Please login to contribute to the conversation.

Update!

The demo has now been released! Have fun everyone!
Just played through it and I love it so far. Keep up the great work, Colou!
[deleted user]
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
This mod is a masterpiece. Flawless work, Colou!
This post has been removed.
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
I played the mod. Interesting concept and I am excited to see the final product however there are a few flaws I noticed (I'm sure you probably haven't worked on them yet). Some of them are probably my OCD though.

Spoilered cause it's a bit long.
Spoiler
My first complaint is the main menu. For some reason in the house, to the left of Wiggum's house, there is a wall next to the couch for no real reason which looks odd. Maybe put a door there?

Second complaint is the races. Shouldn't I be allowed to play them (are they under construction?). If not, maybe remove the characters in the first place. Same with clothes. Have custom clothing or remove the "buy clothes" marker.

Third complaint is the cruise music. I will admit that I hate the "Sunday Drive" music from Road Rage but it sounds out-of-place in the H&R universe. Maybe using the default Evergreen Terrace music might be appropriate? It would still be a little odd but not as out of place as Sunday Drive or using Apu's music for example.

Now onto the major complaints that aren't OCD-related. I tried exiting to the main menu but as soon as I did that, the game crashed. I only tried this once though so maybe it was a one-off. Also, for Mission 2, I am supposed to look for clues. Where am I supposed to look? I think I looked over most of the map and couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm blind :P

Hope this helps!
[deleted user]
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
Just want to say that I love this mod. I'm actually pleased that someone has finally made a mod in level 2. Something I have wanted for quite a while now. The only issue I have with it is that the volume levels for the music, dialogue and movie files are a bit all over the place, but knowing that it's extremely difficult to get those right and the fact that the mod is a demo release, I don't think its fair to criticise that part of the mod.

Although there are two cop themed mods being worked on, this is my favourite mainly because it just has the right atmosphere. Everything about the mod just feels right. Definitely my favourite community mod at the moment.
@97Meter I guess I managed to miss your message the first time around, sorry! Anyways I'll respond to all of the parts about now.

For some reason in the house, to the left of Wiggum's house, there is a wall next to the couch for no real reason which looks odd. Maybe put a door there?

At the same time there's no real reason to put a door there either. In my house my couch is beside the wall. The original main menu had a door there and I removed it to help differentiate Wiggum's house from the Simpsons' house, because the majority of mods don't change it, and if they do, it's usually a simple retexture. I wanted it to be a bit different.

Second complaint is the races. Shouldn't I be allowed to play them (are they under construction?). If not, maybe remove the characters in the first place. Same with clothes. Have custom clothing or remove the "buy clothes" marker.

Neither the races nor the costumes are done yet. The reason they weren't disabled was because...I don't know. But providing you know not to talk to the race vendors or buy something from the costume shop, it doesn't detract from the mod in any way. Plus disabling the costume shop would have been a bunch of work deleting the locators and stuff just to re-add it again later.

I will admit that I hate the "Sunday Drive" music from Road Rage but it sounds out-of-place in the H&R universe. Maybe using the default Evergreen Terrace music might be appropriate?

I think it sounds pretty funky! Plus, the mod uses Road Rage music elsewhere and it isn't too out of place with that. And it's not as out of place as some of the music used in mods. Hell, I'd say it's more fitting than half of the music used in Donut Mod 4.

I tried exiting to the main menu but as soon as I did that, the game crashed. I only tried this once though so maybe it was a one-off.

I believe the crash you're talking about was a result of an issue in Additional Script Functionality, which has now been fixed.

Also, for Mission 2, I am supposed to look for clues. Where am I supposed to look? I think I looked over most of the map and couldn't find anything.

I don't wasn't to spoil it, but it's not too far from where you end off from the previous mission. Look around for something that isn't there normally.
Something about "The Legitimate Businessman's Club; the foulest of all crimes" doesn't sound right, and a bit Engrish-y.
I'm sorry for the bump but I was told I can bump as long as I contribute to the topic. So I decided to write a review for the mod which I played in past couple of weeks when I had some free time:

I enjoyed playing the demo. All 4 missions are well done and I didn't find them too difficult (I only failed second and third mission once, while first and fourth I did in first try). They are fine in terms of difficulty and length. Like I said, I failed second mission once because I got caught by the mafia in that narrow street before I got to the main road (to be more exact, before I reached the cement truck) but in second time I had no problem with avoiding all of that, while the third mission I failed because I was seen by the driver when I tried to sneak from behind the truck, so then I tried a different angle to approach which worked. For people who may have a problem here, I recommend going around the Try-N-Save and then rush to the back of the truck and you should do the objective fine. I suppose these types of ASF objectives can be tricky because it leaves no room for mistakes, meaning if you fail, you have to redo the mission from beginning, which can be irritating if it's a difficult and/or long mission. Thankfully it's not really the case here.

In last mission where I destroyed Mayor Quimby's car, on way driving to the Police Station, I was expecting for an extra "avoid mafia" type of objective just before reaching the final objective but there wasn't, so it's better it ended without this objective, at least for now. Maybe there will be in final version, maybe in a future mission, who knows? Just a minor suggestion unless the missions are already done.

Now to reply to what 97Meter suggested:

For the clue, I personally didn't have any trouble finding it, so if anyone has trouble finding that clue, I can only spoil a little bit:
Spoiler
Look near Police Station

The Road Rage music was ok to me. I don't mind it and it's nice to have a different song once in a while. I know there have been at least 2 mods that used it for the level driving song and I think it's pretty cool. It can get annoying and repetitive after a while but I still like it as a variation from time to time.

The races and clothes are indeed not working at the moment. I also find annoying where I play a mod and when I try to talk to the people who host the races or bonus missions or selling vehicles and the game crashes. It's not usually a problem because I save the game often (and use several slots, one per each mission, since saves are stored separately per each mod). Since this is just a demo, I am not complaining about this. But I just wish that when mods get released in final state, they don't have this problem with the non-existing races or the bonus mission not working or other glitches that affect the level completion, because for example in the other cop-related mod, Homer the Detective, I didn't like how two of races didn't work, so I couldn't even unlock the last vehicle and in turn, not being able to complete level 100% because of these minor glitches.

Back to Cops in Springfield, I really hope the final version of mod to be as polished as Storm Over Springfield was. It is my favorite mod released so far (from all the mods I have played so far, I didn't play yet most mods released this year or some that got released last year, I will try to play them eventually, when I have more free time) as it had everything well done and the whole level could be 100% completed too. I don't remember having any issues with SOS, if there were any issues, they were probably very minor and didn't affect the experience of mod at all. So I hope CIS will be just as good as SOS was.

The only remaining suggestions I can give at the moment for the final version is to make the font light blue, to better suit the theme of the mod. And try to also look into the glitch that causes the Hit & Run meter to be restored upon entering and exiting an interior. The same glitch that happened in Homer the Detective. It's not that big of a deal because I think during missions, the Hit & Run meter gets disabled anyway, so this only affects free roaming if you want to get all the collectibles before starting missions, which is what I usually do with every mod.

Overall, the demo was really good and I'm looking forward to the final product.
It's almost here...

Cops: In Springfield will be releasing December 12th.
See you then.