Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Mod Launcher runs SHAR in compatibility mode... and more

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
I seriously don't know why this started happening all of a sudden, but whenever I run SHAR, it is run in compatibility mode for Windows XP(?), and this caused the game to reset all of its settings from the options menu (full screen mode, button mapping, resolution, etc.) back to its default settings. Changing the settings back to what my preferences were initially will just reset back to its default settings after quitting the game.

Can somebody explain to me why this started happening? Because I'd rather play the game without having to waste 10 hours trying to change the settings back to the way I preferred it. (I guess it's worth mentioning that not even the "Windowed" setting in the mod launcher works; it always turns itself off after launching the game.)
Do you have the Game's executable or the Mod Launcher executable set to compatibility mode for some reason? Also make sure they're not set to Run as Administrator.
Seems like none of those .EXE files were either set to compatibility mode or run as admin.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that after I changed the settings back without the mod launcher's help, things just work fine without it running in compatibility mode after restarting, but when I launch the game with the mod launcher, the problem starts once again, thus forcing me to run the game in compatibility mode... again.
Are you on Windows 10? If so, I encountered a similar issue and restarting my computer seemed to fix it.
Looks like restarting worked. Thanks!

However, the first time I launched SHAR with the mod launcher after restarting still was in compatibility mode, but the next time I launched it, it went back to normal.
It's just an issue with Windows' Virtual Store from what we can tell. Virtual Store is a place where files will go if they can't get saved properly. The mod launcher kept recreating your settings file because Windows was saying it didn't exist even though it did. So no settings could be saved.

Like I said, I had the same issue with Windows 10 and the only fix was restarting. I've since switched back to Windows 8.1 because the system is 100% more stable than 10.