Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Grand Theft Simpsons Row... For lack of a better title

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
GTA Part:
Springfield is separated into 3 islands (based off the 3 levels) which will be connected by bridges. You start as Homer on the first island (Level 1) and have to complete his campaign to access the second island (Level 2), where you'll switch to Bart... Etc... Until eventually you'll be able to play as all the main family members (Including Maggie as a bonus).

Saints Row Part:
Along the way you'll collect vehicles, buddies, and houses. The houses will allow you to switch between playable family members and access their purchased outfits, as well as pick a collected vehicle from your garage. Phonebooths will now allow you to call up at least 3 of your collected buddies at a time. You will collect buddies, vehicles, outfits, and houses as you progress through the campaign and bonus missions. But there will also be a number of stores (such as the Kwik-E-Mart & Try-N-Save) where you can purchase vehicles and outfits. There will also be a few purchasable houses for sale around Springfield.

That's my idea anyway. Hope at least one other person likes it.
It sounds very ambitious, but I like it. The fully connected map is not too far off from your GTA based part. So that's part of the job done. Like the GTA games, you could have an invisible barrier to seperate them. GTA always had an in game explanation for bridges being out, the Simpsons universe could be explained by Fat Tony's mob building the bridges out of pasta and saltines or something, and they are being replaced. This of course, is inspired by the wheelchair ramps Fat Tony built for Springfield Elementary, and being a reference to an episode, fit SHAR perfectly.
If this is even possible, it sounds awesome... be cool to have interiors for the houses as well. nice writeup.
I haven't got to reply last night but this sounds kind of cool and I want to write what I think about it.

I think some of this could be done, such as having multiple interiors, or missions that use a different character than the main level one (eg. bonus missions featuring Maggie for each level).
It starts to get a little tricky when speaking of "calling" buddies, while you could have missions featuring such a thing, the only choice we could have would be to make a setting for the mod that asks us to input 3 character names that we will use in missions or something to that extend.
Buying interiors would also be tricky, as the concept of interiors to this game is just teleporting. Sure, we could have a mission that asks us to do certain tasks, get money, touch a trigger to finish the mission then prompt a stage for the player that would take your coins, but wouldn't actually be what we're looking for (buying the house of our choice on freeroam).
A lot of these things could be interesting (multiple interiors, levels with unlocked areas from previous levels, etc), and could definitely be done, but other things such as calling buddies, would be kind of a lot for what we can do with the game at the moment.
But hey, something about it could be done in the future! Everyday we learn more about the game, in fact @EnAppelsin managed to get the UFO fly around in level 7!
Thanks for showing your interest and expressing your opinions: "Trainman84", "xUnknown", & "maz". Unfortunately for me, my ideas are never small scale. For me, it's always "go big or go home". Even my smaller mod suggestions always have very specific details hidden within. But just even knowing that half of this might be feasible, is enough to know that I'm still thinking somewhere within the ball park. I do like the reference to Fat Tony's mob construction. That definitely is a good call-back. Thanks again for the interest in my idea. And seeing the UFO actually fly around does sound pretty awesome.
Don't worry, about thinking further than possible! People always manage to defy this game somehow, whether it is thinking out of the box or doing workarounds, there's always a possibility to craft new content that makes the use of old features feel like something new!
This one may not be that possible itself, but a lot of things are & if you ever think of something that could be the new cool thing, don't avoid at least trying to do it.
And if you require any help, we're all here.
If the forums seem like a "distant" way of communicating to us, don't forget we have a Discord server, right here.
Remember, don't give up on your dreams & hopes, if something (even when thinking out of the box) doesn't work, there's still other things you might want to try and be able to achieve. Good luck modding & hope to see you around more often!
Thanks "maz", but unfortunately, I'm no modder. I've attempted to get into modding and general Games Design in the past... But it's just not possible for me to fully grasp. My dream is to work for Volition and work on the current and future Saints Row games, and I've done nothing but create fan-scripts for Saints Row, Simpsons HAR, Portal, and many other games... But actually being able to create or mod games is way beyond my abilities.

I would love to say that I'm still trying to learn how to do Games Design and Modding, but my full-time job takes up most of my week, and the days I don't work, I just want to rest... It's a vicious cycle. But such is life.

Thanks anyway though.
Thanks "maz", but unfortunately, I'm no modder. I've attempted to get into modding and general Games Design in the past... But it's just not possible for me to fully grasp. My dream is to work for Volition and work on the current and future Saints Row games, and I've done nothing but create fan-scripts for Saints Row, Simpsons HAR, Portal, and many other games... But actually being able to create or mod games is way beyond my abilities.

I would love to say that I'm still trying to learn how to do Games Design and Modding, but my full-time job takes up most of my week, and the days I don't work, I just want to rest... It's a vicious cycle. But such is life.

Thanks anyway though.

Well, creating scripts for the game is part of modding! Just because you haven't gotten the chance to create a full mod doesn't mean you're unable to.
We all start somewhere & most of the times not in the best highlight, but that shouldn't let you down.
Modding is a thing we're doing out of passion, just like drawings and anything else, it can be expressed as art.
Whether you do it for yourself or for others as well, it still is art.

I'd recommend you try some if when you get a little bit of time away from your job, it really isn't that hard, you'd be surprised to know how simple it is! And we're all here to help if you ever get stuck on something so don't be afraid to ask for help!

It's up to you though, and I really wish good luck with work, hopefully it doesn't get very tiring. See you around!