Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Diary of trying to mod one of Radical's other games (CTTR)

Posted in Off Topic
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
I am trying to see if it's humanly possible to change the way crash controls so the double jump is more reliable. When you fall from a ledge, the double jump becomes a single jump.
TRUST ME, IT'S SO UNRELIABLE!
I will be attempting to do this on the GameCube version, and if anyone can find a port where the files aren't hidden well, that would be great!

so far, I've gotten a few tools that will help me in my quest!
GCR, and,
Lucas' RCF Explorer! (THE BEST TOOL KNOWN TO MAN!)

I have extracted some files that I thought would have the control scripts I was looking for, but Radical got smart on me and hid those files! PESKY!

I am still looking for that file, but maybe I'll find it!

Default.rcf is showing quite some promise!
AFTER FINALLY READING KENNY'S POST, AND READING THE VIDEO DESCRIPTIONS. I have come to the conclusion each level has it's own control script.

wish me luck!

hipporeno
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
One, don't double or triple post please. You can edit your posts by clicking the pencil in the corner.

Two, you can not edit an RCF file with any tools published by Donut Team.
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
Of course, I just used the tool to extract some files, if need be I will find another way to find that damn control script. Also, sorry for the triple post.
While you can't exactly compare people who might not do much to improve the community to someone who created the game, still. You should of atleast told the dev he was sorta breaking the rules.
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
I didn't realize that there was a rule for double posting, but poorly enforced. Well Jake, look up at these posts above. ^
We are aware that some of the rules aren't as well enforced as they could be, but we do appreciate it if users could edit their posts whenever necessary as opposed to triple posting in a relatively close time-frame from one another.

That being said, the rules are (thankfully) getting a much needed revision alongside the new website, and I want to personally apologize for the poor enforcement on my part. Hopefully when we begin anew, you'll be seeing a lot more effort on my part to keep things nice and tidy. Better yet, we might have a nice automated process in merging posts.

To prevent this topic from derailing any further about an argument towards the double posting rule, @hipporeno, I figured these videos might be interesting. Beta M, a popular Crash Twinsanity speedrunner, did some mods of the Xbox version of the game. One of which is where he swapped the onfoot model of Crash with another character (such as Nina or Cortex).

Beta M explained how to do this in the original description, which might be worth taking a look at.

He also modified the speeds of the cars so they're near impossible to control. Similar to the "Play as Anybody" mod he did, he also went ahead and explained it in the original description:

This actually led to a pretty interesting insight: The speed your car travels is not controlled by a global file. This means that each track has the information for the highest speed you can travel in each track rather than storing it all in one place. I'm actually kind of curious why that is?

I should also add that modding the Xbox version I don't think is that different from the Nintendo GameCube version, but I could be wrong. The big issue is that a soft/hardmodded Xbox is needed in order to play a modified version of the game, and that can be a bit of a pain (since a couple of tools are needed to softmod the game). I guess you might be better off sticking with the Nintendo GameCube version since it's the easiest to modify. You might want to modify the boxart in the original post to avoid confusion, as I initially thought you were going to explore the original Xbox release.

The PSP version might be worth looking at thanks to the exclusive cars - perhaps there's a way to port them to the other versions? The PS2 release I believe already has them in the game's data, but the other versions had these cars stripped out.
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
Kenny, I have a hard modded xbox, it's power supply is sticking, but it works sometimes. I plan to try to find what file makes crash not double jump when he is of a ledge.
[deleted user]
8 yrs ago (Statistics)
Well Kenny is my savior, as I think each level has it's own control script!