Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Status Update #6 (2 May 2016)

Posted in Announcements
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
@duckdotexe and @trainman84

As a former train nerd myself, it would be cool to see some themed cars too, like a Bonestorm II car (since the company evidently goes out of business post Level 2 it would make since that it was abandoned) It would also be pretty neat to be able to enter one of the cars (sort of like a secret interior sort of thing)
Currently this is the only train car model I have made but I plan on making more to spice the the train yards up (I will admit there is another less abandoned train yard that's similar to Level 2's).
Max Power, you mean it is actually possible to be a "Former" railfan? Railroading has been my lifelong passion, and I spent a few years working as a freight locomotive engineer. Following a derailment and a permanent injury, though, I am quite content to work with scale model trains. And very glad I had a fallback career in mind too, should railroading not pan out.

The Bonestorm car sounds like a good idea. And entering a car would be interesting. Perhaps Burns's private coach? Have it tucked away in a building like it's in for maintenance?

Loren, I can easily make the textures and skins.
Do you have a Skype Trainman so we can talk about it more?
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
@Trainman84

I still love trains, but back when I was young they were the ONLY thing I cared about consistently (I had other phases but trains remained a constant). I wanted to be an engineer when I was older, and spent massive amounts of time playing Microsoft Train Sim (the original one), and using model trains. It's pretty cool to talk to a former engineer actually. It sucks about the injury, but I hope you had a great time otherwise.

Your idea of a Burns coach sounds pretty cool! I would love to see what kind of an extravagant train car he would own.
Actually, Burns's coach is shown in the season 8 episode "Burns Baby Burns".

Loren, no I do not have skype. I could set my machine up for it. I got a good m icrophone somewhere, just need to find it first.
Ah alright. It doesn't really have to be voice chats, it'd just be easier to communicate ideas to you via a text chat than a forum post.
Either way is fine. I can work with just about anything you have, but the easiest and neatest way to create new cars, as far as texture would be as follows:

Three large cubes, side by side, to form the main body. Most freight cars out there, and a good many passenger cars too, can be visually divided this way. A very thin box at the end, as wide as the car, and another box on top, also as wide as the car. This quick sketch should illustrate the idea. The roof does not have to be flat. It can be arched if need be (Some older boxcars used arch roofs to cram more cargo in, while fitting the car in older tunnels, these were called "Wagontop" or "Turtle Roof" cars, a lot of eastern US lines used them, and nearly all passenger equipment had arch shaped roofs after about 1940) or even peaked if you like (Most cars had a slight peak in the roof, otherwise rain and snow bulds up, but there were sharply peaked roofs too, mostly experimental stuff).

This would be far and away the easiest way to make good looking cars. The separate roof and ends keeps the side pattern from repeating on the roof and ends, as it did when I reskinned the moving car in the Level 2 yard.

I'll have to redesign my train cars with this in mind.
Great. I'm working on some textures as it is, took some 90 degree broadside pics of my larger model train freight cars to see if that would work. If there is any specific logos or lettering you need, let me know. I am pretty good with photoshop, CAD, things like that. Every piece of equipment a railroad owns has a unit number, so if you want any numbers that have special meanings, I can do that too (I do this on my train layout, locomotives tend to have 3 to 4 digit numbers, but freight cars have anywhere up to six or seven digit numbers, birthdays, special dates, things like that tend to show up). Testing a couple in SHAR tonight, going to add them in soon.