Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Preserving Vertex Colors in P3D Files

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
I was attempting to import/export some of the static world mesh files and noticed that upon exporting OBJs vertex color data is lost. I am assuming it is vertex color data I am seeing change, as it is not the texture but the color blend attached to section of a model that are lost.

I first thought this was my export method in 3DS Max, but you can replicate the loss of color data by exporting a static world mesh OBJ and then re-importing it immediately without editing.

Is there a special method required to preserve the vertex color data during export/import?

Thanks!
Vertex colours are not part of the .obj file type specification. Because of this, there is no current way to import world mesh without loss of vertex colours. There's many other issues associated with creating custom worlds, so we're currently developing a new tool that's able to build worlds. That's currently not out, and I am afraid I don't know when it will be.

Lucas has talked about adding the collada format as support for his Pure3D Editor, however he hasn't for various reasons. He said in the next major rewrite, he may take the time to add it. But there's no certainty of if this will happen or when.
Yeah I thought it was curious that it was exporting to OBJ. I thought maybe there was a special specification file or something.. That is quite vexing. I was hoping to create a world of my own. Can you elaborate on these other issues? I understand if you're not in the mood haha.

Thanks.
Jake, is there a way for me to PM you? Like a Twitter or a Skype or something?

Thanks.
Just to clarify, creating a level in this game is not as simple as exporting the meshes and re-importing them.

Lucas' Map Builder (which as Jake said has yet to be released) automates things such as k-d tree generation, road node generation, HUD map generation, creating lights, creating world meshes, creating ground collision, and creating wall collision. As well as other things I'm probably forgetting about.

Several of these things would be impossible or unreasonably difficult to do manually.

For example, the k-d tree is basically the most important part of this whole thing. It's known as a Sector List in Lucas' Pure3D Editor but he discovered since naming it that it is actually called a k-d tree. You can find them in a any given level's Terra file.

Most things in this game including characters, cars, props, world meshes, road nodes, ground collision, wall collision, and other things go into k-d tree nodes in the k-d tree based on various factors. Each node has a limit of the amount of specific types of things within it which are set in the node itself. Exceeding these limits in some cases will corrupt the game or even cause it to crash.

Any given level in the base game will have thousands of k-d tree nodes. Here's an overview of Level 1's k-d tree as an example:

The k-d tree alone makes it unreasonable to make maps/levels without a tool that automates creating it for you. I can go into more detail about the other things though if you'd like.

EDIT:
I know you asked Jake but you can also reach me on Skype if you'd like. My Skype is mrduckbringer.
I was busy doing something, but Loren's reply is accurate. My skype is jakeaero if you still want it.
Aha I just found the sector list in the TERRA file. I was expecting to ignore lights for the most part, and to create simplified collision meshes and road/ped nodes by hand. The K-D tree is an issue though, thank you for informing me. It looks like a fairly simple 2D K-D tree fortunately, although I'm not sure of the implications of the settings without playing with them.

Does Lucas want help with any of this stuff? At the very least I can set up P3D4 to use the COLLADA format. Is there an email or Skype I can reach him at? I noticed that it was stated earlier he sometimes allows access to his source when contacted?

Edit: Thank you, Jake. I promise not to bother you too long!