Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Slithery Sleuthing Glitch (?)

Please login to contribute to the conversation.
I was replaying the prototype of the game, specifically, Slithery Sleuthing (L3M5). After failing a few times before grabbing the third strike due to controls that I'm not used to, I finally got to the area where the third item should be dropped, but it wasn't. I've heard that this can happen, and that you just need to follow the vehicle around the map once more to fix this, so it's what I tried to. This was shortly lived, however, as a while after, the game failed me for "losing the race"? Did it accidentally load the wrong text?
No, it didn't load the wrong text. In addition, what I've heard suggests this can happen in the final game as well. There's a race condition on that stage, so if Snake either doesn't drop the third item or reaches the Observatory before you pick it up, you fail the mission.
Strange. This has never happened to me before.

How can you let Snake reach the Observatory without the glitch that I ran into occurring?
If you just avoid picking up the third item, it should trigger the race condition.
EDIT: My mistake, it would appear that he actually has to not drop it in order for this to work. If you don't collect it, it says you failed to collect the item.
I'll try that, and then reply back.
This post has been removed.
5 yrs ago (Statistics)
If I don't collect the third strike, but just wait there, I "failed to follow vehicle". If I don't collect the third item and continue chasing Snake, it holds out for a few seconds, and then fails me for not collecting the third strike. Sometimes he even touches the Observatory and it doesn't fail and say that I "lost the race".
I think he would have to fail to drop it altogether for you to lose the race.
I'll check that, too. I'll reply in a few minutes...
It IS possible, but the setup is tricky. Snake has to drop the third strike in the other side of the bridge near the Observatory, or else he won't reach it.

Side note: What the game considers to be the Observatory is different than what you'd expect. For this to work, he has to reach around where the steps and door of the Observatory are.