Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Help: put video presentations in the simpsons hit and run ?

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.

as do to put a video when I open the simpsons hit and run ?
Before we begin, I'd like to add that videos for Hit & Run are in 640x480 resolution. This is the resolution SHAR uses by default and you shouldn't go any higher unless you put
RequiredHack=IncreasedVideoResolutionSupport
in your Meta.ini. If you do this, then SHAR's video resolution support increases quite a bit, and you don't have to worry about hitting a limit and create higher quality videos. With that said, let's begin!

To make a video that the game can play, you first have to grab RAD Video Tools, which are available here. These are the only tools that can convert to the format that SHAR uses for videos.

Once you're done installing, go ahead and make a video in your preferred video editor, and export it. I'd personally recommend rendering it as a AVI and WMV as these are the formats I've tested, but the choices is yours and Bink probably supports more.

Now, go ahead and open up RAD Video Tools and find your video file. Click on it once, and then choose the "Bink It!" option seen seen to the bottom left of the window. In the Output Window, choose where you want to save it and what you want to save it as. Once this is done or if you're okay with how it's going to be exported, click the "Bink" button.

You're not done quite yet. You may have noticed the cinematics in-game have a ".rmv" extension, while the one were exported has a ".bik" extension. To remedy this, just rename "video.bik" to "video.rmv", and now SHAR will accept and play it.

You have two options for video replacement. If you wish to replace one of the introduction videos like the Radical logo, just rename your video to match the name of one of the existing ones. In this case, we'd rename out video to radlogo.rmv, so that way it plays that rather than the usual Radical logo. You place custom video files in CustomFiles/movies.

If you want to place a film in a mission, then all you do is put this in your mission script:

AddStage(1);
	AddObjective("fmv");
		SetFMVInfo("videofilenamehere.rmv");
	CloseObjective();
CloseStage();

Viola! That's a pretty rough outline of how to do it. You can choose to retain or take away from the quality of the video in the converting options. You may want to experiment with these so you get a good quality video that doesn't bloat your mod's file size.

Edit: If you're still running into troubes when converting, try grabbing the Combined Community Codec Pack. Some people recommend you install this if you're getting issues where a video won't convert properly, and it seemingly fixed my mixed results with RAD Video Tools and it always exports nicely now. However, this isn't required if you're able to get a good video file from this.