Forum Mod Bakery Docs

W_Ridereply_Oto_## crashes game during license screen

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
I was adding new quotes for Otto (he was a rather underdeveloped character in terms of voice files), and I happen to notice that adding "W_Ridereply_Oto_##" to the dialog.spt file crashes the game right after launching it. All of the other types of quotes such as "D_CarWay_Oto_##" don't seem to crash the game upon launch. Is there any way of fixing this?
I might be thinking incorrectly about this (as I'm not sure if these conditions can cause the game to crash on the licensing screen), but have you confirmed that the Otto line you're trying to add is mono and is 24000Hz? If it doesn't fall under these qualifications, the game can either skip over that line or crash when trying to play it.

If you're still getting the crashing issue, maybe try to use FileRedirections to point to a Otto line already in the game? See what that does.

I believe Loren also noted that there was a "line limit" in dialog.spt, but if I remember right it was so ridiculously high that's nearly impossible to reach even intentionally.
Here's the thing. I once tested this without any of the sound files in the "otto" folder (in fact, I temporarily recycled it), and the same thing happened, so this doesn't seem to have anything to do with the sound files. I also deleted EVERYTHING from the dialog.spt EXCEPT

create daSoundResourceData named W_Ridereply_Oto_01
{
    AddFilename ( Otto/W_Ridereply_Oto_01.rsd" 1.000000 )
    SetStreaming ( true )
}

and even then it crashes the game. (A completely blank dialog.spt doesn't crash.)

I can't guarantee that FileRedirections would do anything, but I'll have to see.

EDIT: So I did as you suggested with PathRedirections, but the same thing happened. Using PathHandlers led to a syntax error message about "daSoundResourceData", and then crash at the license screen. Gee, I guess the developers must've really hated Otto...

EDIT2: Another thing I forgot to mention is that I tried creating a new character code for otto, but apparently the results were the same. Seriously, I changed it to ot2, and ho5 before, and nothing changed.

EDIT2.5: Aaaaaaand, it turns out I forgot to add the left quotation marks before "Otto\blahblahblah.rsd". I swear, I only copy and pasted things, but I guess I accidentally pasted stuff over that. Thanks anyway.