Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Custom music AND "Custom" car driver

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
There seems to be an misunderstanding when I try to make my own mod and looking at other peoples mods.
So there are some things I want to straighten out:

1. I want to change the music from the original/typical music that's already in game into music from other games (example; Road Rage, Crash Tag Team Racing...) I have all the tools that is needed but I don't get the part where changing the HEX values and "you need to reverse the order of the HEX values." (?)

2. How do I make another character "drive" the chosen vehicle? (Like Krusty driving the Clown Car/Limo while the player has to sit in the passenger seat)

Thanks on behalf.
No help with music, but if you want to change who is driving a car that is locating in the vehicle.con file. Look for
SetDriver("npc");
And change that, or delete it for no one
No do not delete it for no one.

Set it to
SetDriver("none");

This means there is no driver for the car.
Oh. I should probably update that Talon then..
Ok. But I still don't get how I'm supposed to change the Original Music to Custom Music!
Help?
Basically hex editing music may seem complicated at first, but once you get down to it it's really easy.

I'll give a more detailed explanation, you need a WAV, and an RSD file you want to replace. The WAV must have a sample rate of 24000 and have stereo sound (the easiest way to do this is in audacity). Make a new mod folder (or if you have one already) and place your RSD in CustomFiles/sound/music. Then, import your wav. Then, go to music01.rcf in your SH&R root folder and extract lx_music.rms (the 'x' of course being replaced by the level number you want to edit), and place it in CustomFiles/sound/music

Now, it's time for the hex editing part. Open up the .rms file with a hex editor (I use HxD but I think you can use most ones). Find the hex value you want to replace from this list. Then, go to your RSD file and right click on it, then go to Properties and look for "Size on disk", this should give you the filesize in bytes. We need to convert that to hex and then replace it in the .rms file.

Now open up your windows calculator, and set the mode to Programmer. Input the filesize of your RSD, then change the mode to Hex. The reason we must "reverse the groups" and such is because the hex number you get on your calculator is different to what's actually in the RSD, so we must change it accordingly so it works.

For example, let's say I had an RSD with a filesize of 4,669,440 bytes. The hex value I want to replace is AC 75 64 00. So I convert my filesize to hex using the calculator, see how the two don't match?
Original: AC 75 64 00
Replacement: 474000
So we must change the replacement to match the original. We do this by adding 0's to the replacement until it's 8 characters (00474000), seperating them into groups of two (00 47 40 00), then reversing the order so 00 47 40 00 becomes 00 40 47 00. Then, you just simply replace what's in the .rms file, and you're done!

If you have any problems, then get back to me on here. Thanks!
Isn't the hex value from the example wrong? Like= 00 47 40 00 --> 00 04 74 00
Or am I thinking in the wrong way?
I'm not very experienced but in my opinion the example is correct,you reverse the groups of 2,not the values in the groups,hope that made sense
Yes @darkxtuik, you're correct. You're meant to reverse the groups of 2. I should have been more clear about this in my post, but now you know. Get back to me when you can!
This post has been removed.
7 yrs ago (Statistics)