Forum Mod Bakery Docs

[Poll Closed] Making all mods decompilable.

Posted in Announcements
This topic has been locked and can no longer be replied to.
It's would be good to have the donut mod decompilable because as you said, people could see how the mods works and how they did it, so therefore other people would know how to implement that into their mods, but I guess they could just make a tutorial on how they did it. But at the end of this it's really up to you if you want to do this. (also p.s If you do then you should make an option if they want it to be able to be decompliable or not.)
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
Without going over the top I think its a stupid idea really. I don't think half of the community can be trusted and will just steal mods whether u ban them or not.

EDIT: I've thought of some more reasons why its a bad idea from reading everyone else's posts.

No one will make a profit loss - Technically I can but that only affects me really. its still a concern for me tho.

It will help us look at how the files in the mods are laid out - You could do that by looking at the original files anyway so there isn't much difference between them.

It will mean we can use cars from other mods - No it wont because you do that and you get banned as Jake has said.

Do you want the mod decompilable Jake? - its really up to Lucas whether or not they should be because he can always refuse.

Originally all mods were in files at some point - I have a zip file with my CV and contact details in. I should show them too since they were once in a file (wasn't trying to be rude there I'm using it as an example).

There should be an option if you want your mods to be decompilable - there already is.

Now I know this isn't definite, I just want to make some points clear.

First of all, having our mod or basically any other mod that isn't already decompilable wouldn't help you much more than just looking at the game's files. You don't get really any extra benefits looking our scripts than you would just looking at Radicals. You can learn how to do just about everything just by looking at the game's actual files. If you can't understand it from there, looking at any mod laid out basically the same way wouldn't help you.

The only thing this wouldn't help you with basically is configuring hacks through the INI files and there is already template INIs for that.

In addition to that, looking at a mod laid out differently would probably confuse you more if you didn't understand why or how the mod was laid out in such a way.

And lastly, while modding a game might be a gray area of sorts but I still feel people have every right to offer even the most basic protection to things they've put many many hours into if they choose to do so. That's not to say I'm unwilling to share some of what we've done or help you on your way to making great things, I just don't think we or other people should be forced into sharing it if they don't want to for whatever reasons they might have.

All that said I'm against this change since I don't want our mods source code in the wild at this time. It's a complex and constantly evolving project and if we do ever release the source of it, I'd prefer it to be the final, finished version of it.
If someone should think if all mods should be decompile than make your mod decompile
But if you think its a bad idea than don't do that to your mod
Basically what I'm trying to say is:
It's fine how it is
Personally, I really think it should be up to the mod creator themselves whether they should release their mod source or not and what kind of benefits the community gets from it. Like, for example, if it's something the community can learn from (simple mfk scripts, vehicle ports), then those mods should best be decompilable. However, for things like main mods I really don't think it's necessary, especially since one of the reasons the .lmlm format was created was to compress large mod file sizes anyways.

Besides, how many users join this board on a regular basis? Making mods like DM open source will probably have hundreds stealing its content and flooding the forums with what they call their "original" mods.
It would help users like me decompiling mods and looking how to do things like that or so.
Verdict:
Decompillable mods.
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
if you have any files you don't want decompiled, just exclude them from the process with this command: ExcludedFileName

It helps me a lot
Remember ExcludedFileName and ExcludedFolderName doesn't hide them from being decompiled though, it's not included in the LMLM file what-so-ever.
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
oh, crap... is there a way such a feature could be incorporated into the launcher? Because I'm fine with people seeing the mfk and rms files, just stuff like custom textures or models should be excluded someway. I really don't want my crappy car re-texture stolen!
At the moment, no such thing exists.