Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Donut team why did you start modding?

Posted in Off Topic
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
@DouglasColvin M8 thanks for telling me that. I'm gonna do that soon. might Play FzeroGX. Again thanks for bringing it up. I would never have found it otherwise.
I initially started modding this game when I was first part of the team.

I had actually remembered playing this game on the PlayStation 2 and really enjoyed it. I had never really played a GTA game, but I really loved SHAR regardless because of it's humor, it's much more "pick up and play" gameplay in comparison to GTA, and the soundtrack.

Years later the soundtrack for the Fat and Furious popped into my head and I went looking for it. Somehow in the related videos I found an upload of an ancient Fat and Furious edit for Donut Mod (which, as Munk99 stated, was originally know as "Project Donut"). I watched it out of interest, and was really impressed with what I was seeing. I threw a couple of suggestions to the team (which consisted solely of Loren Goodwin and Jake) on what cars would make sense in a future L1M7 and a L1M5.

At some point I think they asked me if I wanted to join or alternatively I asked them how they were modding the PC release. I was actually blown away by how fast the Van was in L1M5 and asked how they planned on "balancing" the cars, as I wasn't aware that AI cars used separate con files. That's how far I've come.

I began working on some minor stuff, such as a really simple but cheap edit of Bonestorm Storm, which can be viewed here:

Later on at some point, I contacted Loren and Jake to show off I had found a tool that allowed me to extract the RSDs from the RCF file (which impressed them and led us to believe that music mods would happen sometime soon - they did, but not in the way we think...) and began an edit of L3M1. They eventually placed me onto the team after liking bits and pieces I showed of it.

...Aaaand now I'm here, with a complete Level 3 for Donut Mod and a new mostly independent campaign mod that you've been beaten over the head with in the recent announcement videos. Neat, huh? I'm pretty sure this is most of how the story went and it's heavily abridged, but memory has faded and I aren't quite remember if every detail here is accurate.

Honestly, I continue to mod SHAR because the core game is still incredibly fun. The concept of new-ish missions for this game after all these years blew my mind and initially attracted me to the project. Things got even easier when we found Lucas' contact information and he was super awesome and super kind to get back into making SHAR tools, and the fun of making missions still remains prominent!

Similar to Max Power, I'd really love to develop a game sometime in the future. I have some concepts for a platformer and perhaps a Mario & Luigi-inspired RPG that I think could impress some people once I have the idea properly executed. This kind of creativity is what made me love LittleBigPlanet and Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 when I was younger because the concept of making levels was such a cool one. Working so close with this team has given me an idea of how game development goes, and it's been a blast throughout.

I've also done some other modding in the past before I discovered SHAR modding. I modded a PSP 3000 I had with 6.20 FW and put another form of CFW on it. I was really enthusiastic to be able to launch homebrew directly from my XMB rather than launching the VHBL from the Patapon 2 demo. The PSP didn't have any games that were heavily modded to death to create entirely new experiences (though I think the GTA games saw the most potential), but the Wii was a completely different story. I had modded Brawl a lot to add a slew of custom characters which was always fun, and I think I might have tried Newer SMBW before I came here. Newer I'd highly recommend if you have some sort of entrypoint on your Wii/Wii U to run homebrew. Brawl easily becomes the best game in the series with how customization it is. The 3DS' homebrew scene is also killer at the moment. I installed arm9loaderhax and I use it much more often now. Currently playing through Paper Jam. There's definitely some great potential for some more major mods as we've seen with Pokemon Neo X and Y, and those Mario Kart 7 custom tracks (though there isn't a huge compilation of them at the moment).
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
I started modding after seeing what other people done along with donut team. This lead me to make In Homer We Trust, then I completely rewrote it!
Jake and I came across the PC version of the game I believe after having a discussion about it and we were excited when we found out it existed. And I'm not sure what got us started with tinkering around in the files but we'd noticed the game had plain text files for its missions so we started messing with them. We noticed they referenced P3D files so we googled a program that could edit these to explore it further and came across Lucas' P3D Editor.

Basically that same day we started uploading videos of the game being modded since we noticed a stark lack of these on the internet.

The early days were an absolute boatload of trial and error, I've crashed this game myself thousands of times to be honest. It still is to this day sometimes but not nearly as much so.

The rest of Lucas' tools came along shortly after we contacted him about his P3D Editor and the Mod Launcher itself came around shortly after we met him because he wasn't a fan of overwriting the games files to mod it, as well as the other loads of limitations in modding the game without hacks to its code.