Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Lucas RSD Converter and Lucas RCF Explorer don't launch

Posted in Support
Please login to contribute to the conversation.
Hello everyone,

I'm a new one here, so please don't throw stones at me if I broke the forum rules somehow :)

couldn't find info regarding this problem, so I decided to create a new topic.

I have an issue with Lucas RSD Converter and Lucas RCF Explorer. I'm using windows 11, and double-clicking these programs won't work. Using compatibility mode with any of older windows versions don't help either. Also dragging a file (.rcd/.rcf) on a program doesn't help.

How to solve this problem? Perhaps the key to solving this problem lies in using cmd or some other Lucas tweaks that I'm not aware of?

P.S. I need this for converting WAV files to RSD files (with further archiving these to RCF and replacing dialog.rcf in the game directory) to replace dialogs in the game. I managed to unpack RCF using a command line and convert RSD to WAV using FFMPEG, but I couldn't convert WAV back to RSD. Perhaps there is a way to convert WAV to RSD using FFMPEG?
Hi lajtborn,

Welcome! Compatibility mode shouldn't impact this and should remain off. Do you get any sort of error that could help diagnose this?

Additionally, could you verify if .NET Framework 3.5 is installed? If not, you can go here for more details on installing .NET 3.5 on Windows 11.

learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows
This post has been removed.
5 mos ago (Statistics)
The quoted post is unavailable.

Hi Jake,

No error window appears, double-clicking just gives a sign that the program is launching (cursor with turning wheel), but then nothing pops up, nothing happens.

Also, my Microsoft.Net Framework version is 4.8

P.s. I also tried to put Lucas RSD Converter in folders with unpacked .RSD files, it didn't help as well
Hi lajtborn,

Thank you for the update. It's important to note that .NET Framework 4.8 and .NET Framework 3.5 are distinct versions and not directly interchangeable. Each version of the .NET Framework contains different sets of libraries and APIs, and some applications specifically require an older version to run properly.

To resolve your issue, you will need to install .NET Framework 3.5. You can follow the link I provided earlier (learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows) for detailed instructions on how to install it on Windows 11.

After installing .NET Framework 3.5, try launching the Lucas RSD Converter and Lucas RCF Explorer again. If you still face issues, there might be other factors at play which we can look into further.

Please let me know how it goes after installing .NET 3.5 or if you need any more assistance!

Sincerely,
Jake

Unfortunately, that didn't help either.

Seems like it's impossible to fully disable Microsoft .NET Framework versions older than 3.5 on Windows 11.

Following the provided guide didn't help. I also followed other guides. Disabling .NET Framework 4.8 and enabling 3.5 via Windows features doesn't do a thing as well. Disabling both 4.8 and 3.5 and download-and-install 3.5 from the link you provided also doesn't solve a problem. Simple deleting/uninstalling the folder C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 in NOT recommended by anyone in Internet, since win11 system apps are working on this platform. Plus, beginning from the .Net Framework 4.0 installing the newer version overwrites the older one, so I'm quite confused

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-disable-net-framework-481-on-windows-11/dcd95390-ca0d-457c-aac9-f1f4fc741a7a

If we judge by comments from this link, many people also had a similar problem, and only downgrading to older versions of Windows helped, but that's quite a radical solution for me.

The question is: if nothing more helps, is there a way converting .WAV back to .RSD without using Lucas .RSD Converter? Or is it possible to use .OGG instead of .RSD? I tried the second option following your advice of not using RSD's, cause they're "bulky"

forum.donutteam.com/topic/5826/1

But then on the following page

docs.donutteam.com/docs/lucasmodlauncher/hacks/ogg-vorbis-support

I discovered that some Meta.ini is required to enable support of OGG instead of .RSD, but as I understood, Meta.ini appears when installing some of the listed modes (which I don't need, I want to simply edit conversations in the game):

docs.donutteam.com/docs/lucasmodlauncher/hacks/all-hacks#mod-requirable-hacks

That's actually the point where the problem started from.

P.S. I might not be able to give further answers till the end of the week, but I'm looking forward to your answer!
You shouldn't need to disable .NET 4.8 to install .NET 3.5. The versioning of .NET is a little confusing, but .NET 3.5 and .NET 4 and onwards are very different and can be installed in conjunction with each other.

I've sent this over to @Lucas Cardellini to review, he will update me and/or this thread with relevant information.

The documentation you're referring to is using OGG instead of RSD in a mod. If you're interested in making a mod and using this functionality, you'll need to create a mod file for Lucas' Simpsons Hit & Run Mod Launcher.

There's some documentation here:
docs.donutteam.com/docs/lucasmodlauncher/mods/creating-mods
docs.donutteam.com/docs/lucasmodlauncher/mods/configuring-mods

And many tutorials on YouTube and our forum that may help you with that.

It all depends on what your end goal is, I'm not sure if you're interested in extracting files or if you're interested in adding your own custom voices/music/etc. You can also join our Discord server if that would be an easier way to communicate.

My final goal is to revoice dialogues in the game in another language.

Anyway, I'll be waiting for update. Thanks a lot!

P.s. I joined the discord channel. My nickname is the same as here - lajtborn
Ahh, I understand. In that case, it would still be advantageous to have these tools (even if you're using OGG)

However, I do have an update for you! Lucas is working on an update that will allow these programs to work without the need for .NET 3.5.

We will deploy this update in the next few days for these tools.
Hey lajtborn,

We've deployed the updates, you can find them here:

modbakery.donutteam.com/releases/view/14
modbakery.donutteam.com/releases/view/13

Let me know if this works for you

Thanks!