Forum Mod Bakery Docs

Some Challenge Mod

This topic has been locked and can no longer be replied to.
Another thing - Mission 2 has a unique feature where when you hit it, the car speeds up. Cool, right? Well, there's a problem I kept getting that ruins the mission. Sometimes, the mafia car will end up fishtailing an NPC car, and it gets a speed boost. Then, it hits another, and gets a chain reaction until eventually, I restart, because there's no way to catch up. This only happened twice out of a few tries, but still.
Aaaand, I'm already in the process of making v1.0.1.

I used Snake's icon in Waste of Time to suggest that he MIGHT have stolen it as he's a well-known thief. Sort of like Bart N Frink It could be anyone, but he was the first thief that came to mind.

Keep in mind that I said that Lil B****** was "just as boring as one of my challenges", which in this case refers to Waste of Time. I just... didn't have that excitement when I was playing that mission, especially with music that gives more of a..... how should I say this... casual feeling. The music I used in Waste of Time felt just barely more exciting. Also, I'm trying to make a good variety of challenges so they don't get stale.

I was already aware of the music still playing when the "Mission Complete" jingle was playing, so I did replace the "victory" RSD files with blank ones like you suggested, but the main music was still playing when I did so (probably because they were too short). I felt that music wasn't a big significance at the moment as of now.
I'm not quite sure if using Snake's mission icon to imply that he stole it really works. If the mod lacks a story and characters like Louie appear early on, and you're expected to steal cola from him, then when the only hint at who the thief could be is a mission icon, it doesn't really work. I'd highly recommend looking into creating your own mission icon for the thief, since I'm fairly certain players are bound to get confused with the way it's currently set up. The way it's implied simply doesn't work very well.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to say about Waste of Time. If you're admitting that it's only slightly more exciting then 'Lil B****** due to music choice, then why not just change the mission altogether? What you're saying implies that this mission still isn't very good, which to me seems like some odd design. If you're not happy with it, why not scrap it altogether?

That's a rather odd issue. It's been a while since I've looked into creating music, but it should work if you silence the whole track in say Audacity, and then save the WAV file. That should work. Otherwise, please consider replacing the Mission Complete jingle with something else.
I made Waste of Time the way it is for those who DO enjoy missions/challenges like this. I don't want my mod to be one-sided and exclude certain types of challenges I sincerely don't like, but others enjoy. If I get enough criticism from people who don't enjoy Waste of Time for the same reason, I might just redesign the challenge from scratch (and redesign similar challenges).

The blank RSD files I made are literally .002 seconds long (which I didn't realize until now), but I'll have to see if RSD files longer than at least 1 second would work. I wanted to use the H2H Victory theme for the "Mission Complete" jingle because at certain points in my mod, most prominently whenever you're out of the vehicle as far as I know, the actual "Mission Complete" themes don't actually play.
Well I have to say, i'm impressed, this mod is amazing. Some time down the line I might speedrun it on hard to see how quickly it can be done. Good job!
I actually believe Waste of Time is a completely fine mission for the record. I was just more or less confused about why you said my mission wasn't exactly very good, but then make a mission that seems somewhat similar in concept (and longer). That being said, it's probably for the better that you make good use of all the mission objectives SHAR has, since SHAR doesn't have many and excluding the "follow and collect" type would be kind of silly. Plus, incorporating other ideas into the mod helps appeal to a wider audience.

Yeah, the blank RSD files being .002 seconds will cause the game to just go back to the driving track (since technically it plays it but it's incredibly short and nothing can be heard), which isn't what you want. The better thing to do is to just take your current mission complete tracks, silence them in Audacity so you can't hear anything, make sure to not trim them in any shape or form, and then you should hear the "Head 2 Head - Winner!" track play fine without it being drown out by the other tunes. You can also go the extra mile and have every Misson Complete track be the exact length of "Head 2 Head - Winner!", and after the silence it'll cut back to the normal driving track.
Don't ask me why the game ends up freezing when selecting "exit program" from the pause menu; I have no clue what's going on... yet. Just be glad you're able to save the game before you actually quit.
The game freezing when you exit probably has to due with some nasty corruption. You see, it's kind of hard to modify SHAR without "corrupting" it, and while it isn't noticeable usually, it can make it impossible to terminate the program normally. Basically, several things can cause this. It can be too much junk in a certain region, but the most common case is locator names.

Do you have any extremely long locator names that you use in your P3Ds? I'd really recommend trying to keep locator names as short as you possibly can. We discovered while working on Donut Mod that some of ours issues were being caused by locator names being way too long.

Also, a small bug with Mild Abuse: It's incredibly easy to win since the player can cheat. If the player hops out of Lisa's car, and then jumps onto Bart's Honor Roller, you can just ride the Honor Roller to the Simpsons Household. Since the hit points for the Honor Roller is insanely high, there's no way Bart can get his car destroyed, so it's a pretty long but easy ride to the house. I'd highly recommend putting a "outofcar" timer of some sort and set it 0 so the player can't cheat this way. No clue if you caught this yet, because I have no clue what 1.1.0 changes. May I recommend adding a change log to the first post perhaps so people can see what's changed?

And again, PLEASE make the Some Challenge Mod Music pack not a requirement. The user can edit the music pack if they dislike the music, sure, but they still have to download 500 megabytes worth of music that they may not want to listen to. It's tedious for the user, and really they shouldn't have to do this. They should be free to choose if they want to download the music or not.
from the trailer, it actually looks pretty interesting and also, original. the name could DEFINITELY be a lot better though, no offense however the name "some challenge mod" doesn't really sound all that intriguing to me for a title. i'll think try it out when i get the chance, so brb.

also, another thing: try not to overwork yourself on this mod. take your time, things do turn out better that way after all.
Just played levels 3 to l4m3, and for a mod that isn't anywhere close to releasing these levels, it was dang fun to play.

Oh, btw, we accessed level 3 to l4m3. <3 (L2 crashes, missions past l4m3 crash)