Forum Mod Bakery Docs

[The Simpsons Hit and Run: Yellow Shift] Alpha 2.2

This topic has been locked and can no longer be replied to.
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
I know level 2 isn't finished so I wont criticise too much but here's what I thought of level 2 so far.

again the missions are great, some of the best work on the site. the fact that you see Bart doing his own missions is a nice thing to add to the story. Although I voted to have Homer in level 2. Now I think Skinner was the better option.

what could be done to improve the mod (my opinion so it doesn't necessarily mean that it makes the mod better)

for mission 1 you could black out the screen and say that skinners car stalled or crashed. this way it makes Barts escape more obvious.

mission 2 the first time I played I went the wrong way which I think it quite easy to do since the arrows aren't always visible. once I got to the club I noticed that Kearney wasn't doing anything so maybe blocking the route with fire trucks would work. this would mean the most people would restart but it makes sure that no one goes the wrong way afterwards.

mission 3 this is being very picky but I noticed that Bart isn't riding with Comic Book Guy. I know this is for obvious reasons but If you want I can make you CBG's car with a fake Bart inside (it just means that you cant use it as a selectable car unless you add it in instead of replacing it).
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
"again the missions are great, some of the best work on the site."

This means SO much! Things like this are what encourage me to continue, and I'm so glad that you enjoyed playing the missions as much as I enjoyed making them!

The mission I'm working on right now (Wastegate, is unlockable in Alpha 2.0 but ends the game immediately upon starting) is actually helping Homer complete his 'demotion' job at the power plant. It's kind of a tribute to all the people who voted for Homer, so if any other of you voted for Homer you will probably like this mission.

I also appreciate the feedback a lot! Here's what I have in response:

1. This is a really good point, and I always kinda thought the way I ended the mission was kind of silly and hard to understand. Here's what I'm thinking I could do:
a. Your idea. This one is the most safe and would be a quick solution to the problem.
b. I could make Bart speed up so much that the player couldn't keep up with him (in a timer objective) However, Bart's AI is prone to crashing anyway and I think extra speed would just make it crash so much that the player could keep up.
c. Similar to your idea, I would have Skinner's car stall but actually HAVE the car stall by allowing the AI to take control of the car using ActivateVehicle("current", X, X); This seems like the coolest idea to me but I would have to test how well it works before I decide on it.

2. This is something I realized after I completed the mission. I'm thinking the easiest way to block the player from going the other way would be to close off the stadium tunnel that leads to the town hall. I would include ample time for the player to drive to the block and turn around with enough time to make it to the starting line. The best way to block it right now would probably be with fire trucks like in Donut Mod L3M2 Hellfish, but once the map editor gets released I may actually make a door for the stadium tunnel that's loaded the same way that the powerplant door from L1M7 is loaded.

3. This is a good idea too. Once I get more into car modeling I will likely do this.

All in all these are really great suggestions, and I'm taking them all into account for the Alpha 2.1 update!
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
I'm glad that my feedback has helped. Hope you do well finishing the mod. Its my favourite mod made by one of the community.
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
Thank you so much! The mod will have at least three levels and, depending on how the community reacts to it, probably more (I think the maximum the game allows is 7 at the moment)
I played this as far as I could, and I have to say, it is AWESOME! I do like how Marge's day (Level 1) parallels Homers in the vanilla game. If you ever saw the Simpsons episode "Trilogy of Error" your mod reminds me of that episode in how it plays out. Very well done.

I agree about going the wrong way in Level 2, but I play with the "No time limits" hack through Mod Launcher, so for me it is not an issue.
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
Thanks man, I'm so glad you liked it! And yes, I have seen trilogy of error! I actually didn't think about the similarity between it and my mod, but now that you mention it it's actually a really cool comparison!
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
Hey Robert!

It's possible Alpha 2.1 will be released this week. I have two more missions left to complete before it is though. As for level 3, I don't know who the playable character will be yet, and I'm not actually going to be the one to decide, as I'm going to be holding another strawpoll to let users decide which character will have the next level. I will narrow the choice down to two or three options though, and I'll consider Apu as an option.

Cheers!
J********... long time i haven't see you ... lol
seriously, this mod is one of the best i ever played!!! 1000/10!! can't wait for the rest four. is a good idea to look levels from another perspective.
i have a question, why is the name Yellow Shift?
Yikes, apologies for the large amount of questions @max_power998. We suspected this was a troll we had earlier on the forums who would constantly ask fairly simple questions repeatedly, and it seems he isn't letting up.

I'll go ahead and try to remove some of his more senseless replies.
[deleted user]
7 yrs ago (Statistics)
It's totally fine! I didn't actually get around to seeing any of them before you removed them. I'm happy to answer any legitimate questions you guys have about my mod, so don't be afraid to ask even if you think it's stupid, because it's probably not. However, I'm going to trust your judgement here and assume that he was a troll. I'e heard a lot about this infamous 'J***** B**' but I don't know if it was him or not. Thank you for dealing with this, and I hope you guys don't have too much trouble on your hands.

@Derpygeta

Thank you so much!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! The other four missions in level 2 will be coming soon, as I mentioned above.

The mod's name is based off of 'Half Life: Blue Shift' which is a spinoff game of Half Life that apparently plays the game from another character's perspective (I've actually never played the game, just like the name, which Loren Goodwin came up with) It's Yellow Shift because it's The Simpsons :p

Anyway, thanks for the feedback! I'll continue to work hard on this for you guys.